My squid can not process authenticated program

From: Hazy Xu <hxu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:39:34 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

I set up the squid on my solaris2.7. There are two lines in the
squid.conf:

authenticate_program /home/squid/bin/ncsa_auth /home/squid/etc/passwd
authenticate_children 5

But when I run squid, and used IE to surfing on Internet. The IE didn't
pop up a window to ask me for username and passwd.

Can you help me? I succeeded in building a authenticated cache on Linux
box last year. I couldn't know the reason why I fail now.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

--Hazy