multipart/x-mixed-replace - Heavy traffic and squid overload!

From: Andreas Achtzehn <andreas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:13:03 +0100

Hello list!
Tonight I tried to figure out how to write a perl-script to submit
webcam-images as a constant stream (multipart). I wrote the following
short script:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-Type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=myboundary\n\n";
print "--myboundary";
while (true) {
      print "\nContent-Type: image/gif\n\n";
      open(PIC,"webcamimage.gif") || die "Could not open file : $!\n";
      while (<PIC>) {
        print $_;
      }
      close(PIC);
      print "\n--myboundary";
   }
}
print "--\n";

So far, so good. The script works out fine if I use a direct connection
to my web-server. It switches between two files and terminates when I
quit my web-browser.
Unfortunately I forgot to turn off the proxy-server for my local domain.
This caused the request of the image-file (content-type: image/gif) to
be processed by my squid-server.

Now the problem: Squid didn't stop fetching the image, though I had
already pressed the stop-button. It got under really high pressure which
caused the squid-server to be overloaded (Bye bye squid-cache, the
forced hard reboot killed my squid-swaplog).

Is there a possibility to stop squid from caching the image-content? I
already tried adding a pragma-meta-tag to the responsible html-file, but
squid doesn't react.

Any help, same experience, solutions? It could become a serious problem
(a never-ending stream between two fast servers means, of course, high
traffic on the line).

--
MfG,
Andreas