Squid error: Cannot open HTTP port

From: Godfried Duodu <GDUODU@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:14:09 -0600

After I had made changes to the squid.conf file I run the ff commands:
./squid -z
./squid -NCd1
First I got this message:
/usr/local/squid/logs/access.log : (13) permission denied
FATAL: Cannot open /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log: (13) permission denied.

I went ahead and granted 755 to the access.log file and re-run the program again. This time I got a different message:
FATAL: Cannot open HTTP port. Terminated abnormally.
When I checked the conf file the HTTP_port 3128 is uncommented. Any help to make squid run will be appreciated.
Also how do I capture the output the output to my floppy. It looks like every command I issue when running squid does not work.