Beyond the point that cache will help?

From: Paul Spears Jr <jr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:11:50 -0600

Hello All,
    I am a newbie to this list and have already searched for an answer to my question in the achieve without luck. I am considering using the Squid Cache on a Dell 2400 with Redhat 6.0 (Linux). This Dell 2400 has dual 500Mhz processors 2, 9GB Seagate SCSI drives and 256mb Ram ( I can bump the ram up if needed). We are currently running the 12.05T version of IOS on our Cisco Router to support WCCP V1.0. We are also nearing the limit on 5 T1's to various Backbones and adding about 1 T1 every 3 months. In your opinion are we beyond the magical point where a cache engine helps save bandwidth or will we still see a decrease in bandwidth being used.. I guess I am asking is this worth doing before I invest allot of time setting it up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul Jr.
AlaWeb Network Admin