Slow performance on FreeBSD via proxy

From: Geraghty, Dewayne <Dewayne.Geraghty@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:21:19 +0800

Problem: Extremely slow performance over a 28.8K dialup link. I obtain
approximately 3.2Kb/sec using Apache with the proxy module compiled in.
However squid returns at best 860 bytes/sec. I used squid pre 2.2.Stable5
and would prefer to use it, as it has tremendous functionality that I would
like to take advantage of.

Network Config: PC NT connected to Gateway running Squid. Gateway-Box
proxies to Office network via PPP. Office network uses various proxies and
firewalls before connecting to the external network.

Test Conditions: "Reloading" of the squid.nanl.net web under Netscape 4.7 on
NT. The Gateway-Box was rebooted prior to testing.
The Gateway-Box System has 13 Mb free during the tests, so memory shortage
isn't a problem.

Differences between the Gateway-Box squid.conf and the squid.conf.default,
that came with the kit, are:
< http_port 3128
< cache_peer only.parent.proxy.available parent 8080 3130 no-query default
< # also tried cache_peer only.parent.proxy.available parent 8080 0 no-query
< # cache_peer only.parent.proxy.available parent 8080 0 default
< # cache_peer only.parent.proxy.available parent 8080 3130 no-query
< cache_swap_low 90
< cache_swap_high 95
< # http_access deny all
< http_access allow all
< cache_mgr webmaster

O/S: FreeBSD 3.3
Squid: 2.3Stable2

Any suggestions or guidance will be greatly appreciated. I could find
nothing like this in the FAQ or the User Guide.

Regards, Dewayne.