Re: Accessing secure sites:

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 05:49:45 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> Please have a look at :
> http://www.elvey.co.za/ftp/index.html
> <http://www.elvey.co.za/ftp/index.html>
>
> A popup windows should prompt you for your login details, but if you access
> this via a squid proxy, there is no popup window. Why? What configuration
> change must I make in Squid to fix this?

I assume that you discovered your problem. The 401 status was returned when
I accessed the web site through Squid.

Did you remember to exit from your browser? I can't enumerate the number of
times that I've had someone whose web site I proxy call in a panic that the
proxy was failing to prompt for an ID and password only to find that they
were, effectively, still logged into the web site.

Merton Campbell Crockett