Re: How do I delete a record in IP Cache?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:23:00 -0700

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Anar Babayev wrote:

> > For 2.3, with internal DNS lookups, Squid uses the TTL from the
> > DNS reply. In this case, 'positive_dns_ttl' is not used.
> >
> > If you have an older version, or are using external dnsserver
> > lookups without the "DNS_TTL hack", then positive_dns_ttl is used.
> >
> > Duane W.
>
> Is the dnsserver program that comes with squid "internal" or "external"?

external

> If it's external, what should I do to make it "without dns_ttl hack".

undefine LIBRESOLV_DNS_TTL_HACK in include/autoconf.h and recompile
everything.

> Is it advisable, in general, to rely upon positive_dns_ttl rather than dns
> reply's ttl?

In general, you should not have to think about DNS TTLs.
Using the TTLs from the DNS replies, rather than 'positive_dns_ttl',
is the right thing to do.

When someone changes an IP address, they should:

 1) lower their TTLs well in advance of the change, or

 2) have both old and new addresses during a transition period, or

 3) understand that it may take a long time (days) for the IP change
    to propogate throughout the entire Internet.

Duane W.