why this is happening ?

From: prashant <reach_prashant@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:56:30 +0530

dear friends and gurus

  two days back my squid 2.2 stable , RH 6.1 gets crashed, then this is the sequence of things that happened

1> when tried to restart it with "./squid start " it showed "starting squid parent[pid] , squid chield [pid] etc, but actually it
     was't get started , no "squid.pid" file ,
2> so , i tried "./ squid status" , it was giving "SUBSYS LOCKED , ERROR NO RUNNING PROCESS "
3> i have repeated this step 1 & step 2 few times , but getting same results

4> i still dont know why it got crashed , but somefriends on the list suggested that squid must have tried to use more space on
cache_dir then available on the disk partition , BUT I AM very sure that this is must not be the reason beause, there was a lot of
space left on the cache_dir , SUPPOSE THIS HAPPENED THEN WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF "reference_age" parapeter
AND WHAT ABOUT REMOVAL OF OLD AS WELL AS UNUSED OBJECT"

CONFIG IS ->

CACHE_DIR 3000 (disk patition size 3800 MB)
CACHE_DIR 3000 (disk patition size 3800 MB)

i have observed swap size parameter with cachemgr two hours before squid crashed , it was around 4200 MB ( 2100 * 2) divided equally on both cache_dirs and before

5> log was giving when crashed and gave "./SQUID START" NO SWAP.STAT , CREATING SWAP.STAT.NEW ,ERROR
     CAN NOT CREATE SWAP.STAT , TERMINATING ABRUPTLY"

AS I HAVE CLEANED UP THE CACHE_DIR, AND RESTARTED SQUID AND WORKING FINE , but
if whenever i follow this sequence

1> "./squid stop" ->>.squid is stoping , no poblem ,
2> "./ squid status" --> "SUBSYS LOCKED , ERROR NO RUNNING COPY" ->>> I AM NOT GETTING THIS "SUBSYS LOCKED" WHAT DOES IT MEAN"
3> "./SQUID START" --> IT STARTS AND WORKING GREAT ONCE AGAIN

WHAT HAD HAPPENED THAT CAUSED CRASHED SQUID ? AND WHAT IS "SUBSYS LOCCKED " THING

THANKS & REGARDS
Prashant De