RE: Cache size hints?

From: Juha Saarinen <juha@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 11:42:13 +1200

%-> To check the effectiveness of your cache, look at the general
%-> information
%-> page of cachemgr.cgi.
%->
%-> The consensus seems to be that your cache should be large
%-> enough to store
%-> between 3 and 10 days worth of traffic in order to provide the optimum
%-> benefit - thus, rather than worrying about the number of users,
%-> you should
%-> look at the amount of data being retrieved. Although, for four
%-> users with
%-> a DSL, one might very well wonder if a caching proxy server is
%-> worth your
%-> while - your time might very well be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks for that.

I've got a couple of reasons for "Squidding":

1. Cameron Simpson's AdZapper which kills those pesky banner ads.

2. Over a certain volume, I pay 35 NZ cents per MB so I'd like to keep data
volumes down.

3. NZ is a long way from everywhere, and most of the country's Internet
traffic comes in via satellite with horrendous RTTs as a result. There's
plenty of caching going on here because of that... ;-)

Cheers,

-- Juha