Re: Configuration of cache directory

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 11:15:16 +0200

C W CHAN wrote:

> I have setup a Linux box for Squid proxy. My PC have 7 x 9.1 GB and 1GB
> memory. What is the configuration of cache directory? How many it
> takes at level 1 and level2 in squid.conf.

My suggestion: L1=20 L2=251

Does not matter that much.

How I got the above numbers:

L2=250, to get each L2 directory in a reasonable size aligned to the
page size of 4Kb.
estimated_average_object_size = 13 KB
margin = 100%
size = 8GB
L1 = ( size / L2 / L2 / estimated_average_object_size ) * (1 + margin)

For Squid-2.3 and later you can cut down a little on the margin to gain
some space, but on filesystems that large the relative gain is almost
negliable.

Warning: You have to wipe clean the cache directory when changing L2, or
changing L1 when the topmost directories have been used.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker