Why not auto-config of "store_avg_object_size"?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:34:01 -0500 (EST)

Given a mature cache, why can't Squid (v2.3S2) configure itself rather
than using the static store_avg_object_size value?

I understand why this config option is needed when a cache is first
created. But once a cache has been filled to, say, the cache_swap_low
percentage, Squid should be able to determine for itself the
store_avg_object_size value.

Having Squid do its own adjustment (at run and reconfigure times)
would avoid what I find myself doing periodically: adjusting the
store_avg_object_size value to match the reality of the cache storage.

Thank you.

*** Steve Snyder ***