No DNS records

From: Scroggins, Kelly <ScroggiK@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:45:55 -0600

Hello All,

I've set up a squid server as a test machine. This is my first attempt in
doing so.

I've worked out some minor problems with the help of the online users guide,
email list archive, and the FAQ. But I guess I still don't quite understand
the 'big picture' enough to either realize what I'm reading, or how to
ask/search for what I want to know to resolve my current issue. So please
forgive me if this question has been addressed before.

My machine is a Dual PII 266 with 128MB RAM, two 8GB SCSI drives (one drive
is dedicated to cache), and two NICs. The NICs are on the same subnet but
only one NIC is on the access list to go through the firewall. I've loaded
Red Hat 6.1 (basic server install) and installed squid. I've also shutdown
several default servers including Apache.

The problem is that when I attempt to browse to a URL from a (NT)
workstation, after a couple of minutes I get the error message quoted below.
I've also attached my my squid.conf file.

Also I am able to access the web with the same workstation if it is only
going through the PIX firewall.

I know I must be missing something very simple. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Kelly

################ S u i d E r r o r ##################

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.linuxtoday.com/

The following error was encountered:

     Unable to determine IP address from host name for
     www.linuxtoday.com

The dnsserver returned:

     No DNS records

This means that:

 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.

Your cache administrator is root@localhost.
Generated Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:07:24 GMT by localhost.localdomain
(Squid/2.3.STABLE2)

############## S q u i d . c o n f ################

# squid.conf
#
# a basic configuration file for the Squid Proxy Web Cache

# set logging to the lowest level
debug_options ALL,1

# define group "all" that encompasses all possible IP addresses
# and group "mynet" that represents my class-C network:
acl mynet src xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

# define an access control for group "all" to deny http access,
# and another for group "mynet" to allow http access.
#
# The effect of using both is to prohibit access to the cache by
# any address that doesn't satisfy the criteria established
# in group "mynet".
http_access allow mynet
http_access deny all

# set Squid's user and group
cache_effective_user squid squid

# set log directories
cache_access_log /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log
cache_log /usr/local/squid/logs/cache.log

# set cache directories of 3.5GB each
cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cache0 3500 16 256
#cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cache1 3500 16 256

# set the cache memory target for the Squid process
cache_mem 80 MB

# the mailbox of the sysadmin
cache_mgr root@localhost

 To "shutdown" your system type "win".