Slow webserver and request flood

From: Christian Rozsenich <rozsenich@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:55:30 +0200

We are operating a database based website.
Some pages take a few seconds, until the webserver delivers them due to the
nature of the SQL-queries.

When pages in the squid expire, we experience a request flood on the
webserver/database, as many threads of the squid go to the database with the
same request, as the entry in the cache expired and the new pages takes some
time to be calculated.
Is this a feature or a bug?
Is there a chance to have a lock behaviour on subsequent threads requesting
the same URL until the first thread gets results delivered from the
webserver and stored in the cache?

Christian