Proxying squid and authentication

From: Jason Brown <jsbrown@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:30:43 +0530

Hi,

I am using squid as my Proxy Gateway (squid-1.1.22-2 RPM) in my Linux
Box (Red Hat Linux 5.2) In our school lab. Users are using Windows
machines with private IP address (192.168.X.X) and using this
Linux-squid as their proxy. I have dial-up connection with my ISP. My
ISP is also using squid (squid-1.1.21-5).

Usually when i get connect to my ISP, i can browse the net from my
workstations, But some servers, which needs real IP connections are
not working like HOTMAIL.COM, DIALPAD.COM etc etc.

Moreover, i would like to have proxy-forwarding. In normal condition i
would like to have my SQUID connect directly to the source-URLs but
sometime i need this squid to forward proxying to my ISP-proxy. I need
this when my ISP's main link is broken and they are using some Back-up
link. In the FAQ I found how to forward to next squid but it is
written that the PARENT proxy will be default and only if that parent
is not working, then DIRECT connection is made. I need just opposite,
ie i need my squid to connect directly to the sources (by Default) but
in case it cannot reach, it needs to use PARENT proxy (ISP's).

One more question, can i make squid to provide access only after the
user is authenticated. ie when user wants to browse, a autehntication
page should be given and only after the user is authenticated, then
he/she will be given access to browse. This way i can maintain the
access control. I know in Novell-Netware+GroupWise it can be done,
but i have this Linux server only and i need to implement this for
access control.

Can anybody give me a hint how can i do it. Do i need to upgrade my
Squid to newer version? or some configuration lines will make it work?

Any help/suggestion is appreciated.

TIA
Jason