Re: Free BSD or RH 6.1 ?

From: Marc Nicholas <marc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 16:18:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, prashant wrote:

> dear friends
>
> i am running squid 2.2 Stable 4 on RH 6.1 , it is working great,
>
> as we are expanding, i have to prepare few Squid Box ready, i have given the choice for os thats Free BSD or RH 6.1 , which would be the better
> if stability, perfomance are the main criateria , as i just know a bit about RH linux,and nothing about BSD
>
> please suggest me OS ,

It's partly a religious issue; some folks love Linux, some love *BSD. I
fall into the latter catergory.

Another thing to consider: if you know Linux well, and have no compelling
reason to change, stick with Linux. Better the devil you know!

I find the performance of FreeBSD to be good, especially with "noatime"
set on the cache filesystems and good drives/drive controllers (I favour
the high-end Symbios units with the "SYM" driver).

I also find the stability of FreeBSD to be excellent, but there are those
who will say the same of Linux.

-marc