Re: Proxying squid and authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 15:07:38 +0200

Jason Brown wrote:

> I need just opposite, ie i need my squid to connect directly to
> the sources (by Default) but in case it cannot reach, it needs to
> use PARENT proxy (ISP's).

Squid-2.2+ are capable of this by defining a non-ICP cache peer (the
no-query option), and have prefer_direct to on. You probably also needs
to tune connect_timeout somewhat..

> One more question, can i make squid to provide access only after the
> user is authenticated.

Yes. See proxy_auth.

> Can anybody give me a hint how can i do it. Do i need to upgrade my
> Squid to newer version? or some configuration lines will make it work?

You should upgrade to Squid-2.2 or later. Squid-1.X is obsolete and no
longer supported or maintained.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker