Re: IE and Netscape

From: Chutima S. <chutima_s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 19:51:49 -0800

Dear Jason,

I had problem between FTP and SQUID, too. below is my attach mail that
other also found this problem.

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:03:50 +0100
From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de>
To: "Chutima S." <chutima_s@zdnetonebox.com>
CC: "Bob Franklin" <r.c.franklin@reading.ac.uk>, squid-users@ircache.net

Subject: Re: FTP proxy doesn't work.
Message: At 18:50 15.02.00 -0800, Chutima S. wrote:
>After I try with Netscape Version4.6 without change anything at squid,
>it's work. :D
>
>I'm so happy. But I still want to know how to setup ftp proxy at IE
>because most of users use it. Any idea?

IE5's FTP client does funny things with proxies which seem depend in
non-obvious ways on the settings in "View - Internet Settings -
Connections - LAN Settings" (or something to that effect - I have
only the German version here). Some things I found out:

- In the presence of a correct WPAD setup (DHCP and DNS WKA), if
  "automatic search for settings" is checked in the IE5 Internet
  settings but "use proxy server" isn't, web access across the proxy
  works but FTP access doesn't.

- Checking the "use proxy server" option makes FTP work for downloads,
  but each time an FTP directory is opened it displays a message box
  saying that "the folder is set to read-only because the proxy has
  not been configured for full access", and indeed doesn't allow
  uploads.

- IE5 always tries a direct connection to the FTP server first, even
  if the proxy settings disallow it. If this succeeds, you see a
  sort of Explorer folder view on FTP directories instead of the
  normal directory listing generated by Squid, and uploads work.

- The option "use web-based FTP" (in "Internet Settings - Extended")
  tends to cause trouble even without a proxy involved.

If anybody can bring some order into this I would be very grateful,
as I too have users who insist using it.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)

--
Chutima Subsirin
chutima_s@zdnetonebox.com - email
---- "Jason Thompson" <jltadmin@freenetname.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When we use our cache at school. It sometimes seems that netscape gets
> pages faster than IE.
> Unfortunately we can only use IE at our school, due to the ability
> to lock it up tight with policy files.
>
> Are there any known problems with IE using squid? in particular Internet
> Explorer 5 and squid-2.3.stable5?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason Thompson

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com