Re: Can Squid enforse a site license.

From: Rob Dallas <rdallas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:57:54 -0400

At 01:07 PM 2000-04-04 -0400, Blue Lang wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Rob Dallas wrote:
>
>> Can Squid be used to limit the number of concurrent users that are
>> accessing a particular website? I'm looking for a way to enforce the
>> conditions a site licence, specifically concurrent users. The vendor
>> of the site licence uses IP numbers for euthentication.
>
>I might be wrong, but I think that if all of your users are going thru
>squid, then you'll only have one ip address accessing the site anyways. :P

Thats right the vendor of the site licence will only see a single ip
address for all the users behind a proxy server and therefore can not
enforce the site licence with just simple ip authentication. This is the
problem in a nutshell.

I'm looking for an alternative solution.

>You could find and hack some other, lighter proxy to do what you want. I
>think squid might be a little thick to use in that fashion.

Does this mean the Squid can not do this or that any proxy servers should
be able to do this?