Setting up proxy authentication

From: Joel Taqueban <jtaqueba@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:56:15 +0800

I am a newbie to squid. Although I've got my squid running my boss
wants a feature that everytime a user tries to access the internet he is
first prompted for a username and his passwd before he could proceed
accessing the net.

I think this is what you call proxy authentication. I've read through
the squid FAQ (chapter 10) wherein it says I should recompile squid with
-DUSE_PROXY_AUTH=1. and uncomment USE_PROXY_AUTH in src/Makefile. I
found the file Makefile but I can't seem to find the line USE_PROXY_AUTH
anywhere on this file.

Can you please help me with this?

Specifically,

a) how do I set up proxy authentication? and what do I need to
compile?
b) what do I need to edit on the squid.conf file?
c) do I need to configure anything on the browser itself. I'm using
netscape communicator 4.5.
d) how and where do I define or add users who could access the internet
via my proxy?
e) since I'm using netscape how do I let my users define their own
passwds?
f) any acl's I need to add on the squid.conf file?

I do not have any boxes to experiment with, so I have no other option
but to this on our live system (therefore with the extra caution)

Thanks. I would certainly appreciate your reply on this.

Joel