Re: Is SQUID 2.3STABLEx a mature code ?

From: Philippe Strauss <philippe.strauss@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:04:39 +0200

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 09:42:22AM +0200, Jan Van Ham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still currently running 2.2STABLE5-WCCP with some patches and actually, I haven't noticed any real problems (not a single user complained so far and I also don't get abnormal errors etc.)
> Great uptime here, several months without a problem...

So dont upgrade to 2.3S2, it's not that stable at all, especially with async IO.
I'm looking to the WCCP backport you seem to use with 2.2STABLE5, could you
provide me a pointer?
(I've tried to run 2.3S1 just because of the WCCP code, but was unable
to find any URL or pointer to the WCCP backport for 2.2)

> I'm trying to ask myself why I should upgrade to any 2.3 version ...Is there any great improvement in speed ?

Hmm wait for 2.4 and the news disk IO API beeing developped, interesting
scheme (kind of cycling buffer like in INN 2.2) for storing cached object
will maybe see the light..

> I'm running this in an ISP-enviroment, so the box has only 1 NIC
>
> I really don't need features like delay-pools, url-filtering,authentication etc.etc.etc.
>
> Who runs 2.3STABLEx in a production enviroment ? Satisfied ?

I've tried and replaced it with 2.2S5 after 3 or 4 core dump :)

Kind regards.

--
Philippe Strauss, ingenieur reseau/systemes, Urbanet SA
philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch