Re: Proxy Authentication (Possible Development)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 23:57:15 +0200

Matthew wrote:

> If an authenticate_program where then run with the source IP as an
> argument through stdin then a more customisable authentication mechanism
> would be available.

Good idea.

> As this is not available I had to write my own ACL in the squid source
> that carried out this authentication operation (which worked v.well).

Send your code and description to squid-dev@squid-cache.org, and it
might be considered for future inclusion, or at least input for a design
change.

> Does anyone else think that this slighty different proxy_auth method
> would be very useful for authentication?

Yes.

> I don't know - is this already possible?

Sort of. The IP address of the client is passed to redirectors, but
doing what you want from a redirector requires much more work than in a
separate ACL helper.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker