Re: Redundancy

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:07:39 +1000 (EST)

Earlier today, Jimmy Stewpot wrote:

> Is there any way with squid that you can select where it fetches the data
> from if different from the default gateway on the system? Without using
> Routing protocols of some sort.

Squid knows it has to fetch data from some target IP address, chosen from its
configuration of peers, destination systems, parents and whatnot. *How* the
request passes between Squid and the target IP address is none of Squid's
concern.

What you want to do is *exactly* the reason why routing protocols exist - for
path selection given multiple paths. If you don't have multiple paths, why
bother using routing protocols at all? Just hardcode the default route.

> Basically we are after some method that if one link fails it would
> automatically start to fetch the information from a different link.

Configure your routing accordingly and the traffic will automatically flow
from one link to the next in the event of a failure. If you only want
Squid-related traffic to automatically failover, then that will depend on the
functions/features of your routing software (beyond just kernel routing
tables).

Cheers..

dave