Re: Squid & Advfs disks

From: Ian Spare <Ian_Spare@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:14:46 +0200

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:16:20 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>> what is the best way to have the best performances ? :
>>
>> 1: 6 separates disks in UFS .
>>
>> 2: 6 seperates disk in differents advfs domains .
>>
>> 3: the 6 disks in 1 advfs domain with 6 filesets
>>
>> 4: the 6 disks in 1 advfs domain with 1 fileset ????
>

>You will definitely want to use advfs, as it is an extent-based filesystem
>like VxFS, which will solve the fragmentation issues that you typically see on
>a UFS filesystem. I suspect that as per your options with advfs, it probably

I thought that UFS file systems only fragmented when allocated blocks
in the last few percent of a disk while the allocation strategy of
VxFS (which I take to be the standard name of Veritas File System)
will fragment relatively quickly as it uses up the pools of large free
extents. This is why I thought there were no defrag tools for UFS file
systems (normally) and they're were for VxFS.

--
Check out my home page for winter mountain photos:
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/greenwood/630/