Re: chrooting Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:44:16 +0200

Jim Breton wrote:

> chroot yes
> chroot on
> chroot /usr/local/squid

and /usr/local/squid must exists as a directory.

> How should I be doing this? And do I still need to create the
> mini-filesystem by hand?

Any helper processes used by Squid needs to be available and runnable in
the chroot jail.

> The second problem I am seeing is that Squid does not appear to be
> dropping all root privileges when I run it. I have set the
> cache_effective_user and group to "squid" -- a local account on my
> system, which is Debian potato running on a 2.2.14 kernel.

Squid only drops all root privilegies when chroot_dir is used. Without
chroot_dir it runs as root with effective user nobody.

I have never tried if chroot_dir actually works in Squid-2.3. I have
only used my original 2.2.STABLE5 patch, but the source looks OK.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker