Re: squid2.3stable2 on freebsd3.2

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:34:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Alejandro Ramirez wrote:

> > FreeBSD has been using gcc for quite a while. What FreeBSD 4 acquired
> > what was once known as EGCS and later merged with GCC. It currently
> > has GCC 2.95.2. 3.x has GCC 2.7.2.3. 2.2.x has GCC 2.7.2.1.
> > Various optimization problems have been around for quite a while in
> > GCC, and only seem to be worse in certain situations with the newer
> > GCC. :-(
>
> I was confused about this, but I havent had any problem at all with this
> optimization flags, along with taking out the line "options FAILSAFE", in
> the kernel config file, and the server did worked faster.

Some stuff has problems, some don't. The general rule of thumb is,
though, if you are having problems, recompile everything without
optimization first before you report any potential bugs. Also, the
FAILSAFE option in 3.x does nothing anymore except in the case of some
Cyrix processors in sys/i386/i386/initcpu.c. It no longer exists in
4.x.

> BTW Also you can tune the FS (with tunefs -m) to always be optimized for
> TIME instead of SPACE, to gain another little performace improvement.

I always decrease my minfree to 0%, which forces SPACE optimization.
Which filesystem optimization scheme you use should make no difference
because objects are never grown, simply removed and replaced.
Therefore, TIME optimization saves you no time, and SPACE optimization
saves you no space, but it also incurs no overhead. You might as well
make use of that otherwise wasted filesystem reserve space for more
objects. This is just what I've gleaned from reading the source
(specifically sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_alloc.c), so if I'm wrong, somebody who
is more clued should inform me. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )