Re: nmblookup

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 17:04:04 +0200

Matthew wrote:

> In a user/ip cache how do u know when the user at the specified ip has
> changed? do u simply implement a timing mechanism?

TTL caching only I guess. There is no request input to go on.

> If there are 5 redirectors, surely a cache won't be that much use, as a
> different requets go to different redirectors?

Well.. the cache can be shared by all redirectors, for example in the
form of a dbm file indexed on IP.

> Thanks for the info on redirectors - i wish i'd known about this before i
> wrote a new acl into squid! (well this is probably more efficient, and
> it does logging).

Inline ACL's is faster than redirectors yes.

> > Further, there exists a patch somewhere that allows redirectors to
> > return the username for logging purposes.
>
> -any idea where to get it?

No. Sorry. And thinking of it I might confuse it with another odd patch
where authenticators could modify the username..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker