Re: FAQ ?

From: Ricardo Stella <stella@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:20:56 -0400

If you want a user to go to www.yoursite.com but automatically do so via
your proxy server, and NOT changing the browser, you have to do so via
transparent proxy, which usually is a configuration change in the
router.

I don't want 'transparent' proxy, but want (I guess) 'URL Proxy'.

Based on my example, if the user enters:

http://whatever.com, they'll go DIRECTLY to that site, without proxying
(unless they have proxy settings in their browser, in which case,
they'll use that proxy)

https://my.proxy.net:nnnn/http://whatever.com, then they'll GO to that
site (whatever.com) using 'my.proxy.net' as a proxy server. I changed
my example to https, since most https sites are not cached via proxy,
then they'll definetly go to my site via it.

Again, this exactly what 'www.anonymizer.com' does. I just will use it
for our own users (prior authentication)...

I'm CCing the list again, hoping someone else understands this better
and offers a more suitable suggestion and/or example code.

jatin wrote:

> Dear Ricardo,
>
> Same problem i am facing, but I want that my user default route to my
> squid machine without any changes in browser.
>
> If you find your answer then pls reply me.
>
> Regards,
> Jatin solanki.
>
> Ricardo Stella wrote:
>
> > Can I do this with squid: ?
> >
> > http://my.prox.net:nnnn/http://whatever.com
> >
> > (Where nnnn is 'I guess' the proxy port)
> >
> > With this approach, my user's don't need to change their browser
> > preferences.
> >
> > If not, what else do I need ? Pointers appreciated ! TIA.

 Ricardo Stella                                  O.I.T.
 (609)896-5000 x7436           _suAve_           Rider University
  *** Remove 'no-spam' from e-mail address before replying.  ***