Re: Stupid NEWBIE question

From: Matthew <g2639@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:18:33 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Laubacher Libor wrote:

> Hi Squids,
>
> sorry for boring, probably this question was discussed in list.
> Have 2.2 squid on Debian
>
> here's /etc/squid.conf
>
> acl all src 10.17.161.55 .....
> http_access allow all
> icp_access allow all
> dns_testnames 172.20.100.35
> cache_effective_user proxy proxy
>
> user on 10.17.161.55 is using RH 6.2 with X and GNome and app named GNapster
>
> question is:
> how can I tell to GNapster app (there's no proxy configuration) to use my
> proxy?
> is there any shell or X environment settings etc?

The GNapster protocol (almost certainly) will not be supported by
squid.
You need to perform IP Masquerading to allow your user to access the
napster server.

As root type "ipchains -p tcp -A forward -s 10.17.161.55 -d 0/0 8888 -j
MASQ" at your internet gateway.

NB: i think the napster protocol uses tcp port 8888, if not change this
number to what it does use.
This will also allow the user to access tcp port 8888 on any server on the
internet. Perhaps you might want to find out the address of the napster
server(s) (e.g. nslookup www.napster.com or whois napster.com) and put it
inplace of the "0/0" address (which means any address).