Re: Authenticate against multiple password files

From: Cliff Green <green@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:38:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

HN> Simon Bryan wrote:
HN> >
HN> > Hi,
HN> > I have Squid authenticating nicely against a password file, but
HN> > it would be very convenient if it could actually work against a
HN> > number of files,

[munch]
HN> It is possible. I posted a program to do so some week ago.
HN>
HN> However, my recommendation is instead to concat the files together
HN> whenever they are changed.
HN>
HN> cat passwd1.txt passwd2.txt passwd3.txt ... > passwd.txt

I concur. Henrik's posting was in response to my similar query, and I've
tried (and tinkered with) both of the scripts, and found that the method
works just fine from a command line, but for some reason hangs when used
with squid.

If all you're using is a password file, setup a cron job to merge them
sometime in the wee hours.

Clifford Green               Internet -  green@umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Services                    UMDNJ-IST