RE: Load balancing Switches

From: Matthew King <Matthew.King@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:05:56 +1000

Hi.

What you are describing could be achieved without the use of specialized
hardware.

It all depends on the topology of your network and how your users are
distributed, but you could use a mock version of transparent proxying to
forward packets destined for your proxy server to different proxy servers in
your proxy group. This could be done based on source network, thus all of
your proxy servers would get an equal share of the requests (based on the
assumption that no single host makes more requests than another).

Between your load balanced proxies you could then run ICP or Cache Digests
(Cache Digests preferably). This would not impact server or network load
noticeably.

I have configured a similar system for one of my previous employers and it
is still in use today.

Just my two cents :)

Matthew King.
Network Engineer, Cable & Wireless Optus.