Re: Question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 08:37:27 +0200

Colin Campbell wrote:

> 2) the swap files

The swap index file is "compacted" every time you rotate the logs (squid
-k rotate).

> 3) temporary storage of cache objects. This is the one that bites me
> occasionally. Even though the cache max object size is 4MB, if someone
> loads a large file (eg CDROM image of 650MB) the cache disk fills cos I
> only have about 250MB free on the cache file systems.

I have a patch which improves this by not swapping out objects to disk
it is is known that the object is too large to be cached. See
http://squid.sourceforge.net/hno/patch-2.3.html

> I used to get a lot of problems with the filesystem filling. Since I could
> not change its size I finished up making cache_swap_low and
> cache_swap_high a bit smaller. In doing so I had to make a decision with a
> trade-off between

Reducing the cache_swap_high&low is the same as reducing the cache_dir
size.

I prefer to use cache_swap_log to move the swap index files out of the
cache partitions. This makes Squid handle a full cache_dir partition
gracefully.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker