Re: redirectors

From: Martin Brooks <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 08:00:16 +0100

At 19:27 08/05/00 +0100, Matthew wrote:

> > Perl is not strictly an interpreter.
>
>can you explain to me why perl is not stricty an interpreter.
>i though it was!.

An interpreter compiles and executes each line of a program one at a time
with no compile cache. Perl is more like Java in that it precompiles all
the program into a "byte code" version which is then executed. A line in a
Perl script is, in theory, only 'compiled' once - there are exceptions to
this. However, this is why mod_perl accelerates scripts so much (1%-40000%
improvement) - it caches the 'compile cache'.

Regards

Martin A. Brooks
The package said Windows NT 4 or better - I installed Linux.