dns delay problem

From: Mark Thornton <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 18:55:41 -0500

I am beginning to experience a delay in dns resolution on my cache server.
We are running 2.3.STABLE1 and generally are happy with it. It doesn't go
down like previous versions occasionally did. But clients are seeing the
'finding site ???.com' for up to 3 or 4 seconds. This just started a few
days ago. We are not using the internal dns server processes, instead
relying on our production dns servers as is standard in the 2.3 versions.

What could be wrong? Should I run local dns servers instead of going to my
external servers?

Thanks,

Mark Thornton
San Marcos Internet, Inc.