Re: Disabling Download from Webmail

From: Matthew <matthew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:11:11 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Jean-Francois wrote:

> We run Squid 2.2 Stable with Suse Linux 2.2.3.
>
> Our school network has 2 main defined PC areas : 1 for teachers and 1 for
> students.
>
> Teachers need to download and upload documents from their Webmail accounts
> (Hotmail)
>
> We want to forbid any downloading and uploading from students PCs. Students
> need access to Webmail.
>
> acl filtering is based on IP addresses, and deny ftp protocol works fine but
> not for Webmail attached files.
>
> What is the a correct method to achieve this ?

i think the best way is to deny .exe, .zip, .rar, etc. files.
do this by using

acl httpxs urlpath_regex \.zip$ \.rar$ \.exe$

http_access deny httpxs

another suggestion is to find out where attachments get downloaded from on
webmail - and then ban that url_path.

im guessing that attachments ("attach") may be in the url
eg. www.webmail.com/users/username/attach/test.exe