re: AOL IM

From: -andrew <stacka@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:51:33 -0400 (EDT)

AOL IM is a "socksified" client. i.e to use aol im, you need a socks4/5
server to proxy through. other "socksified" clients include ICQ, Napster,
Agent Newsreader (you can use sockscap32..so it's not really a built in
socksified client..sockscap32 is a socks wrapper....you can 'wrap' things
like ws_ftp, agent news-reader, tera-term etc..etc..)

fwiw, install socks4/5 server from:

www.socks.nec.com

it is stable and feature-rich...the only problem i've had is running the
socks5 daemon in threaded mode on solaris. i've fixed it by preforking it
instead.

-a-

Andrew Stack
UNIX Systems Administrator
State University at New Paltz
Phone: 914.257.3828

GNU/Linux - The choice of a GNU generation.....

One good solution to solve all your windows problems
is to install some flavor of UNIX. 8-)