RE: squid and dial-up with dynamic ip?

From: Ingo Höft <ingo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 23:57:42 +0200

I use nearly the same config but without firewall. I think a proxy is better
than a packet filter and you don't need masquerading ...

> in squid.conf it asks for the ip-addr of the outgoing network device
> (tcp_outgoing_address x.x.x.x). but since i use an isdn-card with
> automatic dial up i get a dynamic ip address each time i
> connect to the
> internet. in this case i can't put a static value in
> tcp_outgoing_address in squid.conf.
Use the default tcp_outgoing_address 0.0.0.0, that means outgoing on any
address. If your ipppx dialup is working well and your default route points
to your external provider, squid will find the right way automaticaly.

> i can get squid to work this way: i dial-up, edit the squid.conf with
> the new dynamic ip of ippp0 and restart squid. as soon as
> ippp0 hangs up
> it gets 192.168.0.1 and the entry in squid.conf is wrong.
>
> hints...?
>
> thanks...!
>
> --
> Andreas Kohler