Re: quick questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:08:40 +0200

Jim Ruderer wrote:

> I'd just like to confirm that this line:
>
> refresh_pattern . 0 0% 5
>
> means that anything older than five minutes will be refreshed the next time
> it's accessed. Is this correct? If it helps, I'm running Squid as a WWW
> accelerator.

Not exactly, but close. The max age only applies to the refresh
heuristics, not explicit expiry times. Explicit expiry times set by the
origin server has a higher priority than refresh_pattern.

> /path/to/squid/binary/squid -k reconfigure
>
> makes Squid restart and re-read the conf file so that any changes made to
> the conf file will take effect. Is that correct?

That is the general idea yes, but some changes requires a complete
restart of Squid.

> Finally, is there a way to kill Squid and make it stay dead? I've not
> noticed a way to do this- I can get it to die then come back like a monster
> in a bad horror movie, but I can't get it to stop coming back to life ;-)

Don't use the RunCache script. The built-in daemon mode is well
behaving.

If you are using the RunCache (or RunAccel) scripts, then make sure to
kill these prior to killing Squid.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker