Re: Reply:How cache into RAM memory rather than on disk?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:38:50 +0200

hillel@learn.co.za wrote:

> I've got 2 Gig RAM, but squid stores the objects on the
> harddrive rather than on RAM. How do you force squid to
> first try store it in RAM?

How Squid operates:

1. When an object is fetched from the network it is first stored in ram
and then "paged" out to disk.

2. If the object is large, then data gets purged from ram as it is being
written to disk.

3. When the request has finished and the object is not fully in ram then
the whole object is purged from ram.

4. When more ram than cache_mem is being used, Squid purges whole
objects from ram.

What it does not is to copy objects back from disk back into the ram
based cache.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker