reloading pages

From: perkal linda - GV <linda.perkal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:35:53 +0200

Hi,

I don't now if you (who ever you might be) are the right person to contact.
If not, please apolgize my quest and if possible, give me a hint to the
right place and/or person.

I inherited the task of administrating a squid server. It is running on a
freeBSD 3.1 and I guess that it is squid 2.2, because I found a file called
"squid.conf.PRE2.2".

The only thing I've been told from my predecessor (who is not available
anymore) was the root-password and the fact, that there is a programm called
"squid" that is running on the machine and thats it!

In principle it is up and running. But I have "old" pages cached in their,
ie. the webpages aren't refresh, reloaded, whatever. I can prove this by
telling my netscape to bypass the proxy-server and then I get another page.
But I don't know how to tell my proxy to reload the page.

I read the FAQs on www.squid-cache.org and I think I know what to do, but I
don't wanna screw up or about 1000 user will kill me just before my boss
will do the same.

Here is what I intend to do (basically cuted and pasted from FAQ):

I will add

        acl PURGE method purge
        acl localhost src 127.0.0.1
        http_access allow purge localhost
        http_access deny purge
to the squid.conf file.

I'll the run the
        squid -k reconfigure
command.

I'll then purge the page with
        client -m PURGE http://www.austria.gv.at/
and hope, that this will solve my problem.

Will this in anyway jeopardize my system? And will it solve my problem? And
why do I have it anyway? And what can I do to make my proxy update it's
cache whithout me waiting for user to tell me which sides are out of date?

Thx for any help

Linda Perkal
Federal Chancellery of Austria
linda.perkal@bka.gv.at