Re: delay_pools vs. cahe hit

From: David Luyer <david_luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 05:07:14 +1000

> David Luyer wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Is it possibile to make Squid not to apply delay_pools to cache
> > > hits?
> >
> > This already happens. Also you can selectively include peers not
> > to be delayed too.
> >
> > Read the docs or mailing list archives.
> >

> No, I didn't mean the relationsheeps between neighbour caches.
> I ment connections betwen my Squid and HTTP clients.
> I know that there is no-delay cache_peer option, but my case is
> different.
> Look here:
>
> --- cut ---
> acl somewhere src 10.1.1.0/255.255.255.0
> delay_pools 1
> delay_class 1 2
> delay_parameters 1 1500/3000 400/2000
> delay_access 1 allow somewhere
> delay_access 1 deny all
> --- end cut ---
>
> 10.1.1.0/24 are HTTP clients, not peers.
> And when, for example, 10.1.1.5 askes for the object which is
> currently in cache (cache hit), that object gets affected by delay
> pool :( Can i avoid it?

What I said above was correct, you just didn't quite get it.

_Clients_ are not affected in terms of delay pools when fetching object
already in the cache or when fetching objects which the cache then fetches
the object from a no-delay _peer_.

Delay pools only delay the incoming objects which are associated with
the clients. Also, delay pools of multiple clients waiting on the same
clients are accumulated so that that object is fetched more quickly when
multiple people are trying to get it. The other way around is also true,
if one client is trying to get a number of objects then their pool is
spread across those objects.

David.

David Luyer
Senior Network Engineer
Pacific Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd
Phone:  +61 3 9674 7525
Fax:    +61 3 9699 8693
Mobile: +61 4 1064 2258, +61 4 1114 2258
http://www.pacific.net.au        NASDAQ: PCNTF
<< fast 'n easy >>