Re: does anyone use AKAMAI network?

From: cougar <cougar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:13:19 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Matt Ashfield wrote:

> I've been doing some reading on the Akamai Technologies solution. I was
> wondering if anybody here's network has been "Akamaized", and if so, did you
> combine it with your Squid cache? Also, how would you rate the changes in
> your network performance since having implemented Akamai?

Hey Matt

I installed an Akamai cluster just prior to the NetAid concert. At the
time, it wasn't clear what the cluster would be doing apart from the
participation in said event, but the performance via the Cisco Distributed
director was pretty cool.

They used BGP metrics to locate a cluster nearest the client and the
client then obtained it's streams from a localised cluster sourced from
multiple centralised farms ... the performance for me was great (I was
on standby sitting ontop of the cluster for the duration of the gig(s)
...) so I had good bandwidth. Even so, the streams died a couple of times
due to some problems at times (not sure of the specifics).

Since the gig, I've seen the cluster intercept HTTP flows on occasion and
when the local cluster serves the data the response times appear to be
reasonably fast. I'd rate the experience as a good thing ...

There have not been any opportunities to integrate this solution with our
other caching systems.

Cheers,

John.

                     _______
| John V Cougar __ Big | Voice: 61 2 6208 1683 |
| Telstra Internet \/_/ \ Direct | E-Mail: cougar@telstra.net |