Having trouble getting Squid running

From: Mark Puchalski <mpuchalski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 11:05:00 -0400

Trying to get squid Version 2.3.STABLE3 running.

When I run /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -z I get the following:

FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /usr/local/squid/cache: (13) Permission denied

I tried creating the cache dir and chown to squid, but that doesn't help

When I try to run squid with -NCd1, I get:

2000/05/26 10:10:04| errorTryLoadText: '/usr/local/squid/etc/errors/ERR_READ_TIM
EOUT': (13) Permission denied
FATAL: failed to find or read error text file.
Squid Cache (Version 2.3.STABLE3): Terminated abnormally. (only a portion of the screen).

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...can anyone help?