transparent proxying of both http and https...

From: Alex W Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes <alex.fiennes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 17:56:06 +0200

Dear all,

I have been looking for some detailed documentation on this subject for some
time with no success so apologies if it is public knowledge...

I have a firewall between an internal and external network and I want to run
all services through proxies. I initially set up the system for http as
described in http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html and it works fine.
I now want to enable users inside the network to access ssl encrypted http
servers.

I set up a new redirection rule in the ipchains to take port 443 and redirect
all traffic to the local box (on an unused port). I then created a second
squid process (own configuraiton file + cache + log) to receive the redirected
packets and pass them on with httpd_accel_port 443.

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be working. Is there a specific
configuration switch to let squid know that it is being used purely for https?
 Is there anywhere that I can find more information about this or is there some
more configuration details that are required?

Alex