RE: Problem with squid and incomplete EXE files

From: Karl Ferguson <karl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:26:35 +0800

> Maybe the file has been wrongly cached. There are a few cases where
> Squid cannot detect a failed download and might wronly cache then (this
> is from a limittion in the HTTP protocol, not a Squid bug.. well there
> might of course be some bug in Squid that I do not know about).

[...]

> a) PURGE the object from the cache
>
> b) Issue a forced reload on the object (-r argument to client)
>
> c) Wipe clean your cache

I've tried all three (even a random exe file that nobody would've ever
downloaded) :-)

However, I've just anrrowed it down. It appears they had the Happy99 virus
and just after that none of their downloading exe files wroked. I thought
that was a strange coincidence, so with some IP Masquarading I got them to
go direct (no proxy) and it still happened. So the problem appears to be at
the client end of IE.

I'm going to attempt to re-install IE on one of the culprit client machines,
failing that, Windows98 (because Happy99 modifies the wsock32.dll file which
is quite essential). After I do that I'll publish my newer findings.

Many thanks.

Regards