Re: Using NDS for authentication with SQUID

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 20:59:12 +0200

Gerry George wrote:

> I am running SQUID on a Linux box. Now that NDS for Linux is available, I
> plan to use NDS for user & resource management. I had the (**bright**)
> idea that I could use NDS authentication to controll access to SQUID
> instead of using machine IP as is currently in effect. This would also
> make it transparent and avoid having to use passwords on SQUID which would
> also become an administrative headache.

If there is a PAM module for NDS authentication, then you can probably
use the Squid PAM proxy_auth module for authenticating thru that.

Else I think you can get to the NDS thru LDAP. In that case you do not
need to have NDS support installed on the proxy server machine, only
LDAP support.

Note that this will not give you a "single signon" system. The user will
first have to authenticate to login to their workstation, and then again
in their browser with the same username and password to get to the
Internet.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker