How does cookies work with Squid?

From: Hillel Bilman <hillel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:51:38 +0200

Hi

From the Squid FAQ 12.19:
The proper way to deal with Set-Cookie reply headers, according to RFC 2109
is to cache the whole object, EXCEPT the Set-Cookie header lines.
With Squid-2, however, we can filter out specific HTTP headers. But instead
of filtering
them on the receiving-side, we filter them on the sending-side. Thus,
Squid-2 does cache
replies with Set-Cookie headers, but it filters out the Set-Cookie header
itself
for cache hits.

Does the above paragraph mean that squid version 2 will filter out cookies
getting
from the web server to the browser, but still cache those pages?

Do I have to do anything in squid.conf for this to always work? or on the
asp pages
becides, the standard public and expires tags?

If the web server requests cookie information from the browser will this
request get
to the browser and will the browser be able to send the response back to the
web server?

I'm using Squid 2.3 STABLE3 in http accelerator mode connecting to an IIS4
Server.
The application uses classes that makes use of sessions (the Session ASP
object can't be disabled) and so cookies by default are served. So I'm stuck
with cookies. However according to the
dba the session ASP is only needed to run the classes, but it's not needed
in the
functioning of the site as a whole. So if I switched off cookies in my
browser,
I can still browse the site. We also don't have any authentication.

Thanks for all the help