Re: Multi threads downloader

From: Gerben Welter <G.Welter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:20:01 +0200

At 11:03 14-6-00 +0300, you wrote:

>I don't like these fscked downloaders and discourage users of using them.
> From the user point of view It's ok, but on the other hand my squid goes
>crazy. And let's get am example scenario:
>
>1. Client is using such kind of multithreaded downloader.
>2. Proxy is squid type.
>3. Server from wich download is, does not support resuming.
>
>In this case downloader says to squid get for me file.zip at positions 0k,
>1000k, 2000k, 3000k... because of lack of capabilities at the server side,
>the squid will handle such a request by downloading file from 0k, then
>from 0 to 1000k, then from 0 to 2000k....
>Believe me you won't like to see this happening at your site. Even flowcontrol
>brokes. Virtualy squid download file at same speed as client, but when above
>scenario occurs, squid must to download at full speed between 0 and 1000k...

Hmm, not as far as I know. Usually the client uses a windoze computer with
getright. I've never seen the kind of behaviour on the squid side. A few
weeks ago I downloaded the latest Novell 5 service pack using getright's
segmented downloading (4 segments) and squid did not retrieve the 120 MB
file 4 times :-)

Grtz Gerben.