HTTP accelerator architecture for failover

From: John Econopouly <johneco@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:18:24 PDT

I'm exploring using squid as an HTTP accelerator to control the load on
individual machines in my server farm. My site must stay up. My questions
are kind of general... (I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ or archives):

1. If one of my web servers goes down, can squid be configured to
automatically reroute traffic away from that server, or would I need to
restart squid with a new configuration?

2. How do I protect against squid itself going down? Is there a way to run
2 squids and have them do auto-failover?

any help greatly appreciated
thanks