Re: amazon -> www.amazon.com ?

From: Thanos Siaperas <thanus@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:19:47 +0300

Gerben Welter wrote:

> At 11:40 16-6-00 +0300, you wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >I have a question:
> >
> >How can squid be told to leave a URL request such as amazon
> >in, eg, netscape, to go on its way and become http://www.amazon.com ?
>
> Browsers like Exploder and Netscape do this by themselves. But I think that
> only works if the browsers are configured for direct of transparant proxy
> access. No need for squid to start guessing the right url.
>
> Grtz Gerben.

Our proxy isn't trasparent. So people who manually put the
proxy in their browsers, loose the following functionality:

If one puts just a word in the URL field of netscape, it
makes a query to keyword.netscape.com and then
- if there's a site www.'word'.{com,org,...)
  it redirects you there.
- If it's ambiguous (eg. squid-cache) it brings you to a list of choices.
You can also put a phrase in there, and have it searched with some engine.
Phrases aren't forwarded to the proxy, but single words are.

For instance, I put "sun" in the url field, and
- if I have the proxy configured, squid complains it can't resolve "sun"
- if I have "direct connection", I come to www.sun.com

What I imagine as a solution, is to have squid ignore anything that doesn't
have a dot in. But I can't say how I could instruct it to do so.

"Jens-S. Voeckler" wrote:

> Anyway, if you still insist, you could let Squid append a domain suffix,
> see squid.conf.default. But, choosing a .com suffix, and there is no
> server http://amazon.com/, you are out of luck.
>
> Alternatively, a redirector (an external program) might yield the desired
> output.

A redirector, or append_domain would try to do netscape's work, while what
would be preferable is just have such queries passed through squid, on to
keyword.netscape.com

Thanks for your replies,

regards,
Thanos Siaperas