Re: Squid Weekly Summary Interpretation

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:

> > > Now I don't quite follow you. What is a client object, and what makes it
> > > different from a page object?
> >
> > The client object or client system, if you prefer, is the entity that is
> > making the request. The page object is retrieved in response to the client
> > request.
>
> So exacly what are you seeing a high hit rate for? Requests from certain
> clients, or requests for certain resources?

Requests from certain clients. If most clients have hit rates that are less
than 35% and you have a client with a hit rate of 60%, is there something
that a client can do that can result in a significantly higher hit rate?

Does this indicate that the client is frequently accessing a small, finite
set of pages that change infrequently?

Does it indicate a client that responds to "Hey, check the `so-and-so.com`
web page, isn't it cool?"

Or, does it indicate some pathological behaviour of the client in how he
uses his web browser?

Merton Campbell Crockett